Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Car Update

So as I mentioned before, our car broke down on Sunday. We took it into the shop Monday, and the analysis was that we broke a timing belt. What that means I have NO idea, I just know that it's going to cost around $600 to get it fixed. And that's only if the belt didn't break any of the pistons in the engine when it broke. If it did, then we're looking at about an $1800 fix (our car isn't even worth that much). So we're not sure what's going to happen. We had to take our car to the actual Dodge place, because the other place really couldn't diagnose it. We find out today what is going on. I think I cried more yesterday than I have for sometime. It's just a stress, because that's our only car and we can't afford to get another one, well, MAYBE a cheap, RELIABLE car we could afford. We'll see. It's just a bummer, because I was really hoping that car would last another 2-2 1/2 more years. ATLEAST. I just need to have faith that all will work out.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

BUMMER! car troubles are no fun! Everything will work out I think!

Sounds fun..speaking at Women's Conf... I would be scared to death.. I'm not a public speaker.. gives me anxiety, no matter how small the crowd... I think I actually ised that one time too to get out of a speech in college.. anyway.. How is Ben liking days? Do you guys get to spend more time together?

Jonathan and Rachel said...

Shari!! Yucky about your car -- sorry I've been out of the loop! Let me know if you guys need a ride anywhere tomorrow/Thursday ... I don't have anything going on either day ... well until Thursday evening! - Rach

Bastianclan said...

Shari I am so sorry about your car. Who said they could break down? Ummmm they surly didn't talk you about it...It sounds kind of funny but have you thought about blessing the car? we have done that before and guess what it worked. I know that no matter what happens the Lord will help you. even if this doesn't work out the way you want to.. Hang in there girl!!!!! maybe next time you see your car you could kick it. that might help Wink :)

The Graves Family said...

Car troubles... yeah, not fun. Usually you are supposed to replace the timing belt around 100,000 miles. I would call around to other shops. That price seems very inflated. You also might be able to purchase the parts at a part store and have someone replace it for you. My dad has changed many timing belts. The confrence sounds like fun. I am the enrichemnt coordinator so I am helping plan ours too. What is the theme? Ours is "There's no place like home" and following the Wizard of Oz idea, we have talks on keeping the Spirit in your home, Developing our relationships with Christ, Family Home Evening and things like that. I hope you guys are doing well, we miss you

The Graves Family said...

Sorry about your car problems. Usually you are supposed to replace your timing belt at 100,000 miles. I would call other mechanic shops and see what they charge 600.00 sounds steep. You can also purchase the parts at a store, and have someone change it for you. It isn't that hard to do... my dad has done it several times. Good luck w/ the Women's Confrence. I am helping plan ours. What is the theme? Ours is "There's No Place Like Home" and we are decorating like the Wizard of Oz. The speakers are talking on How to keep the spirit in your home, FHE ideas, Loving our Spouse and showing it, and developing a relationship w/ Christ. Well, I hope things get better. Hang in there!

The Graves Family said...

Internet issues

Unknown said...

WOW!! I like the new layout... did you have to re-enter all your friends and family blogs? I did that's why I haven't changed it in a while.. if not, how do you do it!?

Unknown said...

Shari.. I believe Valentines day is the 14!!??