Monday, April 27, 2009

Find Joy in the Journey

So yesterday we had an awesome lesson on President Monson's talk, "Finding Joy in the Journey."  Dresden did an amazing job and all of the comments given were directed to me.  The Lord definitely knew I needed to hear that lesson.

Lately I feel like I've been on auto-pilot.  I do the chores, spend some time with each kid, cook dinner, feed the family, change stinky bums, give husband a kiss when he gets home, etc.  Doing the things I'm supposed to, but not feeling anything.  I guess just feeling empty.  There have been a few days where I haven't wanted to get out of bed.  I'm exhausted.  Fighting with a 2 (almost 3) year-old is no fun.  I swear its battle of the wills with Lilli!  Just the other day I fought with her for OVER AN HOUR to get her to take a nap.  Did she end up taking the nap???  NOPE!  Then I told her to stay in her room (hey, I need a break SOME TIME).  Did she stay in her room???  NOPE!  All this was after multiple spankings (Yes I spank my child, so sue m), and constantly going up to her room to tell her to get back in bed.  I definitely got my exercise in that day!

Trying to take care of 2 babies on top of the crazy 2 year-old is exhausting.  The constant worry of how much milk I'm going to have today, or are they even going to take naps today, or will it take 2 hours to get them to bed tonight, or how many times are they going to get up tonight.  Someone asked me yesterday what I do when both babies are screaming and I told her that I have to set them down and leave the room.  Somedays I have the patience to spend 2 hours comforting them and some days I just can't take it.  Rarely do they sleep at the same time during the day.  I've got 3 small bags (shopping bags) full of stinky diapers.  I have to do laundry ATLEAST once a day to keep up.  I've been pooped on, peed on, puked on, boogied on.  You name any bodily fluid and I can almost guarantee you its been on me.   

Saturday was my first attempt at taking all 3 kids out, by myself.  It would have been fine, but Lilli was whining and crying THE WHOLE TIME!!  How did I do it??  I put Alex in the baby bjiorn, Aidan was in his car seat, and I put Lilli in the cart (or buggy to you southerners).  Yes I got constant stares, and I overheard one couple say, "Wow!  She's got her hands full!"  Thanks people!!!  Needless to say, we just went to Target and then I was done.  I packed the kids back in the car (our car has NO AC) and headed back home (in 94 degree weather).  Will I do that again?  Not anytime soon, and definitely NOT during nap time (or when Lilli's SUPPOSED to take a nap).  Boy do we need a van!

I feel like I'm always cleaning the house.  I spend a day cleaning and it takes a second for it to be dirty again.  I feel like a single parent all day, every day.  Ben works nights so he's gone all night and then he sleeps during the day.  Sometimes he has extra duties at work, so he doesn't come home until noon, and then he has to sleep.  Many of my friends' husbands have crazier shifts and I don't envy them at all, but it's still hard.  We've been doing this for 4 months and I hate it. 

There!  Now that I got that off my chest, back to the whole point of this blog (besides venting).  Even though things are hard right now, I have to think that they could always be worse.  Not only do I need to find joy in my family, be grateful my husband has a stable job and that we have the means to take care of ourselves, but I need to say, "Find joy in the journey."  The house can wait, but my family won't.  They need me.  I want to create fun memories that they'll have for forever.  I need to remember the things that bring me joy, and know that no matter what, the Lord is aware of me and my trials.  He loves me.  He knows I'm trying my best.  As long as I'm doing my part, He'll do the rest.  How grateful I am to be a member of the Church and to have wonderful, inspiring talks, and lessons (like yesterdays) that give me the motivation to keep on keepin' on!

The things that bring me joy!


17 comments:

Lindsay said...

You are so brave for taking them all out alone! I don't know if I could do it! I love reading your blog it's so fun! Your kids are beautiful and we all know why, cuz they have great looking parents! What a cute family! :)

bre said...

Sounds like you need a nanny...named bre...to come help you out! :)

Jessica said...

I loved the lesson too. I agree with everything you said- being a mom sucks a lot of the time, but it brings joy the rest of the time. We just need to focus on "the rest of the time".

You're great. Call me when you want me to come over and hold your screaming babies. I'd love to.

The Fanning's Ark said...

I just sat here crying as I read your blog. Even though my boys are 10 and my girls are 7... I remember those days like yesterday. The first time I took the baby girls out and the three year olds out at the same time, ended up very much like your experience. All I wanted was some help, but I was too embarrassed that the house was a mess. I would love to come over and help you (mine are in school all day), even if I just play with the kids while you take a nap, or do the dishes or a load of laundry. I'm going to call you soon... so figure out what you want me to do to help ease your "abundant blessings" (otherwise, I'll just show up and do what I want :) ). Hang on...

Ashlie said...

I'm just impressed you were able to hear the lesson. ;) Children are in large part here to teach us patience I've decided.

Brittney K. said...

Oh honey, I wish I was there to steal one or two or three of them so you could just take a nap or paint your toes, or stare into space...whatever your little heart desired! I love you all and think you're great for always wanting to find ways to be better. Better wife, better mommy, sister, daughter...just BETTER! Shari my dear, you amaze and inspire me! Thanks for being you, cause the you I know is Fabulous! Keep up the good work.

Nacey family said...

Your kids are soooo cute. Life may be crazy, but oh my, what good looking children you have!

Taffy and Tony said...

Keep your head up, Shari! And don't worry too much about the house. You're doing what's truly important! I admire you and what you're taking on.

Bill & Ellen Thompson said...

I remember the days of feeling that way. ( sometimes I still do) Hang in there and know we all love ya. Wish I were there to help you out!

Tom and Jen Loveland Family said...

Shar, what a wonderful example you are to me! Thank you for venting and sharing. It reminds me of where my true joy comes from as well. It will get easier, I hope. :)

Nicole said...

Shari, I hope you know that I think you are absolutely amazing. I was as stressed out and "empty" as you describe, but I had a full time husband and only one newborn. How you handle your situation at ALL is beyond me, and you are my hero for attempting a Target run with all 3!

BUT FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE -- THE NEXT TIME YOU WANT TO GO TO TARGET BRING YOUR CHILDREN TO ME!!!

I am just around the corner, you know, and I'd love to spell you sometime. You're doing great, but everyone needs a break!

Shari Davis said...

Thanks everybody for the encouraging words! I am doing better, but still feel tired at times. Okay, all the time. But I just need to count my many blessings. Ben reminded me of that yesterday. I wasn't too happy with him, as you can imagine, but it was what I needed to hear. Anyway, thank you! Its nice to know I have so many wonderful people in my life!

Mariel said...

We all have days like that. It's so hard to take that many kids out in public, isn't it? Totally stressful. Just stumbled on your blog, you have a lovely family!

Mariel
www.oneshetwoshe.com

Winn Family said...

I just love you! (and I've decided that clean houses are so over-rated)! Also, I think game nights help us have "joy in the journey" just a suggestion :)

bre said...

i want to take your family pics. I'll keep my out for the ticket in the mail.

you need an update...SERIOUSLY! :)

love you

BWei said...

Hi Shari! Thanks for your comment on my blog--I've snuck on yours a couple of times from Cari's. Your family is so beautiful, and I appreciate your honesty, your faith despite an incredibly challenging season of life, and your sense of humor through it all. Thanks for sharing!

Amy said...

Thanks for sharing what it is really like! I thought I was the only one who struggled with a two-year-old. I admire your courage for finding joy in the journey even when it is hard.