Wednesday, November 25, 2009

ER Visit




Last Wednesday, my poor little Aidan fell off the chair. Actually, I had him sitting in his Bumbo seat (it has a tray for feeding) up on our higher-than-average dining room chairs. I left the room for not even a second and he fell off the chair.......still in his Bumbo and hit his face on the tray. WORST MOTHER OF THE YEAR AWARD RIGHT HERE!!! I come in to the dining room to see him laying on his stomach, in the Bumbo, with blood EVERYWHERE! Not to mention, he was screaming at the top of his lungs! I panicked! I picked him up, ripped him out of the Bumbo, rushed him in to the bathroom to stop the bleeding, and cuddled him. The cut didn't look that deep and I was debating on if I should even take him to the dr/ER. I called my neighbor and she rushed over and told me I should take him in just in case. Then I called Ben at work to see what he thought I should do. He told me the same thing. Because I didn't know how deep the cut was, I thought I would just take him in to the clinic that way I wouldn't have to wait forever (like I thought I would in the ER). There wasn't an opening until 11:30am (the accident happened a little before 9am). When the dr was finally able to see us, she cleaned out the wound and found that the cut went ALL THE WAY THROUGH! She sent us down to the oral surgeon but they couldn't really do anything until later when they could sedate Aidan to do the stitching. So the oral surgeon took me up to the ER to start the process. Once we were there, we waited 5 minutes then the ER dr told me he could have the stitches done in 5 minutes. 5 minutes as opposed to 3 hours, I told him to just do it. We wrapped Aidan tight in a sheet so he couldn't move and they stitched him up. He screamed the whole time, but now, after wasting so much time, I wish I had just gone in to the ER first. Apparently, with an open wound, they get you in pretty quickly so there's no chance of any infections. The first dr I saw was pretty upset that they didn't get us in to see her quicker. So now I know that when there's an open like that, I'll take my kids to the ER! And I'm sure, with two boys, this won't be the first time!

Aidan will have a battle wound (which I feel horrible about). It's healing great and they took the stitches out yesterday. Now, we're all fighting the cold/ear infections/runny noses/fevers. Wish us luck!

7 comments:

Army Petes said...

Don't worry about his battle wound. Dave has one on his chin and I LOVE it! Some day his wife will love that little imperfection. Your not the worst mother of the year. Look at all you learned!

Lindsay said...

Shari you are definitely not the worst mother or even a bad mother at all! Accidents happen for sure. I hope you and your family get feeling better! Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Jennifer Sharpe said...

Poor guy! I heard some of those seats got recalled for that very reason. Don't feel bad we all have similar stories I'm sure. Your a great mom! I hope you guys start feeling well soon! My girls are sick too. Luckily Lee and I haven't caught it yet.

bre said...

Poor little guy! Hope you guys get feeling better. you can come home for Thanksgiving if you want! Love you guys!

Mike, Katie, Annali and Londyn said...

How scary! Hope he is feeling better. Your a good mother and we are all fighting ear aches and the cold stuff. Not fun. Hope everybody gets feeling better soon!

Randi said...

ah! that is too bad for the little guy and you! Dont feel like a bad mom. hey I accidently left cleaner out and Garrett tried to feed it to Embrie. I had to call poison control so don't feel too bad!

The Martinez Fam said...

I hate trying to decide whether something is serious enough for the ER or even just a doctor's visit! I hope you guys get feeling better soon.