Thursday, July 31, 2008

Together again!

Yes, I'm alive.......WE'RE alive!  Lilli and I survived the 13 hours of flying plus layovers.  We survived the 5 hour flight from San Francisco to Charlotte.  We, scratch that, I survived the day without any sort of nausea or vomiting (maybe a little nausea), and things have been relatively better since that day.  Lilli and I also survived the next 8 days without Ben at home.  We survived running errands in a car that has no air conditioning, driving in 105 degree weather (Yes!  It was THAT hot!).  We survived it all!  Not to mention the TWO surprises that came within 2 weeks.  The first, obviously, was when we found out we were having twins.  I found out during just a routine check-up with my doctor the day after Lilli and I had that long day flying back home.  I have to tell the story.  Most of you already know it, so bear with me.

Like I said, it was just a routine check-up.  I didn't get to bed until 1 in the morning and my appointment was at 9am.  So both Lilli and I were pretty tired.  Anyway, we get in to the office and my dr (Dr. Asplund, who was awesome!) decided that rather than doing the doppler thingy majiger, he would just go get the ultra sound machine.  So he preps me (puts that really cold gooey gunk on my belly) and proceeds with the ultra sound.  All of a sudden, he starts furrowing his brow and saying, "Interesting........Very interesting."  Several times.  I keep asking him WHAT? what is going on, but he just kept saying the same thing.  So I'm kind of freaking out but not really, because if something were really wrong with the baby, he would have acted more concerned.  But my first though was, "Oh my goodness, my baby has got a growth," because all I saw were two little bubble things.  Well, then he tells me that he sees two babies, and of course I told him to shut up, that there was no way there could be two babies.  Then he showed me.  Plus, he called in two other doctors, who also confirmed there were two babies.  So I was still in denial, or it just seemed so surreal (it still does), so I had another appointment this Tuesday (with a Dr. Homeyer, also a good doctor) and, sure enough, there are in fact two babies growing inside of me.  They had their first photo shoot, kind of.  While Lilli was screaming and getting in to everything, the doctor was making sure the babies were growing okay.  He said that one baby is about 5 days behind the other, which is normal and actually really good (the dr said).  So now I have a "real" ultra sound on the 29th of August, hopefully they'll be able to tell us what we're having then.  I'll be about 21 weeks then.  So that's the first surprise!  What a great surprise!

The second surprise was that Ben came home a day earlier, WITHOUT TELLING ME!!!!  So he didn't get home until about 1 in the morning.  Yeah, totally freaked me out!!  I woke up as he was barrelling around the bed towards me.  I pulled the covers over me and kept saying,"Who are you?"  Then he turned on the light and said, "I'm your husband."  I couldn't believe it.  I just kept saying What?  It was another great surprise!  Lilli loves having her daddy home.  She's so cute!  He went up to get her the next morning and she was so excited.  It was hilarious!  I feel like since he's been home, we've just been going going going.  We went to the movie WallE, all the doctors appointments, yesterday we went to Atlanta to get our iMac fixed.  Today we got our car fixed, plus my phone fixed (water spilled all over in my purse and broke my phone).  So, some of our adventures haven't been so fun, getting all of our broken things fixed spending even more money.  It's been stressful, because we know we have double things to buy for the kids, PLUS we have to get a new vehicle to accommodate our growing family.  Very very stressful!

Anyway, so those were our two surprises!  Good surprise huh!?!?!?!?!  Lilli and I thought so.  So now we're just enjoying Ben's time from work this last week and next week, spending time together as a family.  It's been great!  Sorry this is so long, and there are no pictures.  I was going to put our ultra sound pics, but you can't really tell that they're babies.   They kind of look like aliens right now.  But still, so cute!  I'm so glad that our family is all together again!!!!  Thanks to all of our wonderful friends who helped us out!  We love you all!!!

20 comments:

Tyson and Lauren Davies said...

Its so exciting that you guys are having twins. I told Tyson this past weekend and he is so excited but pretty jealous!
Can't wait to hear if they're going to be girls or boys or one of each.

Jonathan and Rachel said...

Just made me smile to read both stories -- I know you've told them to me - but it was just as great as hearing them the first time! I hope you guys are planning a fun date :)

Taffy and Tony said...

Congratulations on your twins! That's so exciting, but stressful, I'm sure. Tony's sister just had twin girls a little over a month ago. The second surprise sure must have been scary. I would have freaked out! Fun ending, though.

Ferret said...

I love Dr. Asplund too! He was my provider for my last pregnancy.

I'm glad the babIES look good, and everyone is doing well!

...ps, I would sooo drive to Atlanta to get my iMac fixed too! I have broke mine twice now, lol.

The Martinez Fam said...

I'm glad that your family is all together again. I think I would probably have the same reaction if I was told I was having twins. I told Martin the other day that I'm scared to have any more kids because it seems like Hevenly Father is trying to get a lot of babies here all at once and I'm not sure I could handle twins.:) I know of several people lately who are having or have had twins. It's crazy. That would be really stressful to have to by two of everything, but I'm glad all is well with your precious cargo!!:)

The Martinez Fam said...

Sorry. I misspelled Heavenly.

Ashlie said...

I still can't believe it. How did they not pick it up by the heartbeats earlier? or where the heartbeats in sync?

I don't know if Clint would have dared do what Ben did to you. I keep a baseball bat under my side of the bed . . . ;)

Jill said...

Hey we just wanted to tell you congrats. I hope everything is going well for you and I am sure it's nice to be home. I bet you could get lots of great advise from Julia on having twins. She know all about that. Good luck and congrats.

bre said...

I was thinking the same thing as Katie, there seem to be a lot of twins coming into this world. I'm glad Ben is home. That was a LONG TIME!!! Alright...well, i think you should still post the picture of the aliens growing in your belly...ultrasound pics are so cool...(okay, i can never tell where the baby actually is...but...technology has gotten a lot better, so who knows, maybe i will be able to see..) and..you need pics on here...k? Love anad miss you guys!!! Give my niece a kiss for me!

Correa Family said...

Soooo excited for you! Can't wait to here what you are having!

Amy said...

Thanks for the story. I was wondering how it all went. Recently I had been thinking how neat it would be to have twins, so when I found out about your twins my jaw dropped and was so excited for you. I'm sure you are feeling a ton of mixed emotions. It will be interesting to find out what you are having. Congrats on your fam being all together. It is never fun to be apart!!

Tiffeny said...

Woo Hoo! We are so happy for you. Ben, if Tom would have done that to me he would probably be in the ground right now. You are a brave man.

Emily, Randy, Baby, and the Pups said...

Shar! I am so excited for you! Hope you are feeling much better and I am glad Ben is home so you guys can be together! I miss ya!

Ashlie said...

I have no idea why I'm posting again other than I still can't believe you're actually having two babies at one time. What is my problem? Get over it Ashlie, my heavens! Why am I so weird? I shall ponder that today.

Nacey family said...

That is awesome for you. My husband is so jealous. He hopes for twins everytime because he is an identical twin and loved it growing up. Congrats!

Jami said...

Twins??????? And you were the one that said you never wanted twins. Funny how things work out. I'm so excited for you and Ben and Lili.

Staci said...

Congratulations Ben and Shari... what fun! I think every little girl dreams of having twins, until they have their first baby any way! Good luck to you!

Trent & Emily Davies said...

Okay I am so glad that I am not the only person who HATES being pregnant!! Everyone else seems to love it and think its the greatest thing!

I got Erika's shirt off eBay I just typed in "Big Sister Shirt" and it came up! Lilli will love it I am sure!!

Oh and about the twins that was the first question I asked the doctor during my ultrasound and there is only one heartbeat...thank goodness!

Hope things get better for you...hang in there I'll be thinking of you!

bre said...

ummmm....hello....are you still alive? it's been like a week and two days since your last post! Is my niece still alive? LILLI, ARE YOU THERE?!? okay...well, I guess I will live...(So what if I have nothing better to do than sit on my computer and blog and check other people's blogs...) Give me something good to read! love you guys. Hope you're feeling better. You better call me when you find out what you're having so I don't have to read it through the blog world...LOVE YOU!

Jody said...

Congratulations on having twins! That is exciting news! I am sure Lilly will be a great big sister! I hope things are going well for you guys! -Jody Roberts