Sunday, October 4, 2009

Charleston, SC

Supposed to be a haunted path (this was on our tour)


We had to cross this huge bridge and anyone who knows me well knows I HATE bridges over water! I was white knuckling it the whole way!



This goat was letting Lilli pet him......and then he tried head butting her (this was while we were waiting for our carriage tour)
The boys in the motel, Alex kept trying to put the blanket over Aidan's head
Lilli sprayed Aidan and I with water just as Ben took this picture





Over Labor Day weekend we decided to take a last minute trip to Charleston. It's only 3 hours away and so worth it! I loved Savannah but there's just something about Charleston. It's beautiful and CLEAN. Savannah felt dirty. Anyway, we stayed about 1 mile from downtown. I'm so glad we did. When we first got there, it was later and we ate at a seafood restaurant. It took us about a half hour to find a parking spot but once we did, we were not moving. After we ate we went to the city park by the bay. There was a fountain that was pretty cool and we decided to just let Lilli get wet and play. She had a lot of fun! Then we went to the docks and watched for dolphins. We saw a few but they were just skimming out of the water. It was a little disappointing because Lilli couldn't see them. She still had fun though. She's such a social jibber jabberer (probably not a word but you get the point). Most of the time it drives me crazy, but I'm not going to stop her. So she was talking to all the people around us. It was getting pretty late at this point so we headed back to our motel and Ben took Lilli swimming in the pool while I put the boys to bed.

The next day we got up and headed out later than I'd have liked. Anyway, we ate at a little whole in the wall place that was on Rachel Ray's $40 a day. It was yummy!!!! I got smoked salmon eggs benedict and Ben got sweet potato pancakes with pecan butter and maple syrup. I liked Ben's more than mine. It was called Joseph's and its right downtown. Prices are very reasonable and the food was so delicious! I highly recommend it if you're ever in Charleston. After breakfast I really wanted to take a carriage tour. I was left a little disappointed, because I wanted to see EVERYTHING. I guess Charleston has laws allowing only so many carriages out at one time and gives them different routes. It was was fun to do once. I wouldn't do it again. Though they do give haunted tours and I'd really like to do that once before we leave. After our tour we went to Market Street and saw all kinds of vendors. Then it was off to the beach. We only went because we told Lilli we would. Be this time it was almost 5pm and both Ben and I were so tired, along with the kids. They all fell asleep on our 30 minute drive there. We were at the beach for MAYBE 30 minutes then we were out of there. There were so many people and I didn't even get in.

We had such a good time and I'm hoping just Ben and I can go when he gets back from deployment. I think I would enjoy it a little more. Okay........A LOT MORE! But it was a fun family vacation and we'll have those memories!

5 comments:

kylee said...

Looks like a fun trip! I love the picture of you and Aiden getting sprayed by Lillie :)

Jessica said...

If that is the bridge on the way to Mount Pleasant where the beach is, I was white-knuckling it the whole way too. I was driving and thought our car was going to veer off into the ocean. Freaky!

I love Charleston too. It would be a great place to go on a girls trip...hint hint.

Shari Davis said...

Jessica, I would LOVE to take a girls trip to Charleston! Good idea! I'll be done nursing in 3 months (and counting)!!!!! Woo Hoo!!

The Martinez Fam said...

How fun. I love it when we got out of town and do things together as a family. We're always exhausted afterward, but it's so worth it!!

bre said...

Can I go on your girls trip to Charleston too?? I don't nurse, nor do i have children. I'm a perfect candidate!!! Cute pics though. I miss the kiddos and their parentals like crazy!! You need to send me every picture so I can do some scrapbooking with them...okay?!? okay. Love you. glad you had fun!