Thursday, November 13, 2008

ALS Graduation, Halloween, and other updates








Let's see.  Where do I start.  Ben graduated from ALS October 30th.  I drove up to Columbia and attended the ceremony.  It was cool to meet a lot of the people from his class and some of his supervisors.  He was a top graduate (1 of 4 out of 50 people), so I was very proud of him for that.  He wasn't expecting it at all.  It was a fun surprise.  Also, another surprise..........he sang the National Anthem for the ceremony, a capella.  That was another fun surprise for me and he did so awesome!  He really has a beautiful voice, I wish he would sing more.  Anyway, thanks to our good friends the Pilk's for keeping Lilli overnight that night.  I heard the girls had WAY too much fun!

Then we had Halloween.  Lilli was a cute little kitty cat.  She had so much fun trick or treating.  She's so not shy and would run up to the people with that candy and in her sweet little voice say trick or treat.  They all thought it was so cute.  They would let her get the candy and she wouldn't take just one handful, she had to take a couple more.  Yeah, we had to put a stop to that.  We went with our good friends the Gernat's.  They have a little boy about the same age as Lilli.  They had so much fun.  We only went to a few houses, but ended up with a lot of candy.  Neither Ben or I are much candy eaters, so we'll probably have the candy for a while.  We've been using it as a treat for potty training.

On to THAT subject.  The day before yesterday I decided it was time to start potty training.  It has to be done, and Lilli did awesome.  No accidents the whole day except at the end.  Yesterday I wasn't feeling great so I didn't do it, but today I am.  I know.  It's all about consistency.  I'm having a hard time with keeping her in her underwear even when we go out.  I get nervous.  Does anyone have any good ideas?  I need to just do it and just make sure I have extra clothes for her to wear.  But, so far so good.

I'm feeling okay.  The babies are just getting bigger and therefore there's not a whole lot of room for them to move.  I'm starting to go in every week now to the Non-Stress Testing Clinic, or NST.  I don't know what that entails.  We'll see come Monday at 9:30am.  My doctor said that they'll hook me up to "the machine."  Whatever that means.  The last couple of days I've been feeling a lot of contractions, and to be honest, it's my fault.  Lack of water and lack of rest is not a good combination.  I was really scared Tuesday night because I had 3 contractions within 20 minutes of each other.  So I've been really trying to suck down the liquids (and food) and just take it easy.  I'm excited for them to be here, just not right now.  Maybe in a few more weeks.  Speaking of a few more weeks, I'll have one last ultrasound just to make sure the boys are still doing okay.

Oh!  Another big development (atleast for us), we've picked names!!!!!!!!  Yea!!!!!  We're very excited.  Now it's just a matter of picking middle names, which we've kind of picked but I'm still hesitant on one of them.  I'm not going to say what they are because we could change our minds tomorrow (or Ben could), but they're very cute and I'm very happy.  Ben was actually the one who "picked" them, but they were names that I had suggested to him (and he wasn't sure about).  We're, okay I'm very excited about that!

Well, I think that's about all that's going on in our lives.  We're all healthy and happy!

15 comments:

Emily, Randy, Baby, and the Pups said...

Shari! You are so cute. I am glad to hear that all is well with you, Ben, Lilli and the boys! I just can't believe you are having twins. Tell be congrats and you better suck down that water and food! Love ya! I lost my phone, therefore I have lost all my phone numbers and addresses. Will you send them to me?

Pilkington Family said...

With the potty training...I never wanted to go out either. I think we waited until we knew for sure Abby would tell us if she had to go and then we ventured out without diapers:) I think it was a good week before we took her out of the house...anyway, good luck!!

Jonathan and Rachel said...

So glad to hear you guys picked names... even if they do change - it's still exciting! Can't wait to see the little guys in person!

Ashlie said...

I use pull-ups when I'm first potty training and going out. I don't suggest them for at home potty training because (at least my kids) used them like a diaper because they feel like a diaper. They are a nice alternative though when you really don't want a pee mess in public. I always stressed to them that they were not to pee in these and showed them how they pull up and down like underwear. Just my 2 cents.

As for a NST. They just wrap a contraction monitor and heart monitor around you--like when you are in labor and listen to the heartbeats and watch for contractions for a while to make sure everyone is lovely. Not too scary. ;)

Can't wait to hear the names you picked out. Good luck with everything.

Brittney K. said...

Lol, you can't stay home forever shari :). I'm pretty sure its hard for lilli...she can feel the "big girl" about to become a lasting thing...and the finality of this is hard for kids...but she will let u know when she's ready and in time for the boys i'd guess! good luck. tell benji that i love him and am proud of all he accomplished. i miss hearing him sing...when he brice and my dad sing...man it'll blow u away! love love love you!

Staci said...

Shari.. You are so cute.. Congrats to Ben on his graduation.. and I didn't know he was a singer! How awsome! Everyone loves a man who can sing to them!
I can't wait to hear your boys names! I am so excited for you all! Lily will be such a cute little mamma for the babies! Let her help as much as possible, make her in charge of the boys feet! They need socks and blankets and when they have a bath.. you can't drown feet! Also, they don't suck on their feet and it doesn't matter if they get more germs on them.. Just an idea we have used with our kids that has worked pretty well!
We are so excited for you!

Unknown said...

that pic of you and ben is the most adorable EVER! mostly, 'cause your cute belly! love it!

Taffy and Tony said...

One thing that caught my eye . . . what's with the raccoon on the mantle, or is it in a mirror? I can't tell, but it looks a little freaky. Good luck with the babies, AND the potty training. If they're ready, it's really not so bad.

bre said...

Oh my heck, You are pregnant? I couldn't tell!!! I love that first picture of you and ben. You're one hott prego mama!! Your hair is way cute and your dress is super cute too...Ben, you look handsome yourself! Congrats to you on your graduation. I teared up a little reading it! You're awesome big bro!

I had another dream about your twins....So that either means that they're gonna be coming really soon, OR.....I need to stop eating before I go to sleep! :) (You thought I was gonna say something else, huh? Not that at all!) I can't wait for them to be here....50+ days is way to long for me to wait...

Good luck to Lilli potty training. I have no experience in that area, other than my own potty training, but like I remember that! I remember peeing my pants outside Gram's house...but...I think I was like 5, so that won't help any, huh? HAHA..okay, love and miss you!! Come see me!

bre said...

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WAIT!!!!

What are the names? You can't say you've picked names and not tell me...or is it a SURPRISE!!!

I'm your sister, surprises aren't allowed!

Joel (Bob) and Dresden said...

something I have done is put a diaper on top of the underwear when we go out... that encourages them to go potty, but if they have an accident, it is contained!

you look great! I can't wait to hear your boys' names.

Bill & Ellen Thompson said...

Fun to hear all the updates. That's awesome about Ben singing the National Anthem! I've heard him sing and I'm sure it was beautiful!!! You guys look so cute in that first pic. Lilli is adorable as a kitty! I can't wait to come out in January! Love you guys!

Unknown said...

So are you ready for these boys to come? Nursey set up and stuff!? You will have to post pictures of all that fun stuff :)

Trent & Emily Davies said...

You look amazing for being pregnant with twins!! How do you do it??!? I always feel like I got hit by a train! Good luck with the potty training thing its a pain but so worth it once they can go on their own!

Mike, Katie, Annali and Londyn said...

You look amazing as always with those twinners in you belly. Lilli as always is adorable. Congrats to Ben. Can't wait to know the names. Miss ya.