Saturday, August 23, 2008

Savannah, Georgia



This building was built from whatever stones or brick they had.  Thus all the different textures and colors.  It's a really old building turned restaurant called Charter House.


This is me at the end of the day.  My feet and back hurt so bad I wanted to cry.


The Deen Brothers: Jamie, Me, Ben, and Bobby. Ben said I was nuzzled a little too close to Jamie.  Why not?  

The Waving Girl Statue


My big belly....not sure if it's from the twins or from the food!

Ummm...seriously!  I don't think those little gators could even do anything to me if I fell in, they were so little, but I didn't want to find out.


It's been a while since we've blogged, so this may be a fairly long blog.  Sorry.  Lots of pictures though.  So this last Monday and Tuesday, Ben and I were able to drive down to Savannah and spend the night, just us.........alone.........without Lilli.  My good friend Rachel (Thanks Rach!) offered to watch Lilli for us overnight so we took advantage and made the drive.  It actually wasn't too bad of a drive.  I drove it, because Ben had to work the night before so he was up ALL night then didn't get to go to sleep the next morning due to a mandatory dentist appointment.  So he'd been up for over 24 hours!  Poor guy!  Anyway, I drove down there.  It only took us about 2.5 hours.  We both thought it'd take longer, but nope.  So we got to our bed and breakfast (I've never stayed in one before) that was in the downtown historic district.  It was pretty cool.  We stayed in the "Blue Cottage."  So we were off out behind the main building.  We got checked around 4:30pm and decided to drive 30 minutes to Tibey Island to a crab shack called,  what else, The Crab Shack.  We got a platter meal for 2, but it could have fed about 8 people.  There was a ton of food.  They had shrimp, muscles, red potatoes, crawfish, snow crab, stone crab, sausage, corn, and I think that's all.  I wish we had taken a picture.  But guess what!!!  When you combine a pregnant lady with twins and a big guy who hasn't eaten in 24 hours, you got two large empty stomachs!  Seriously, we finished almost that whole thing.  You can see my huge big belly in the one picture from the side.  I know it's the twins making me that big, but the food probably added to it.  It was such good sea food.  We got back to our B&B and decided to call it a night and just get up early the next morning.  Ben fell asleep immediately.  I was kind of scared that our room was haunted so it took me a while to fall asleep.  It wasn't haunted, by the way.  Also, our bed was really hard so I was tossing and turning all night trying to get comfortable.  Let's just say that I didn't get a whole lot of sleep.  Day 2 started off okay.  We went and ate (I was disappointed with the AMOUNT of food) blueberry pancakes and 2 links of sausages.  We met a couple of nice ladies who helped us get reservations at Paula Deen's restaurant The Lady and Sons.  Then we got on a trolley that took you all over the historic district.  We didn't stop at anything but the City Market, it was closest to the restaurant.  We'll definitely have to go back and see ALL the sites.  We checked out City Market then went to Paula Deen's store and saw her two sons, Jamie and Bobby.  After getting pictures, we went and ate and The Lady and Sons.  It was worth it to eat there once, but I think that once was a enough.  The food is VERY southern and VERY fattening, but VERY good.  After eating we went and got some gelato then went down to the River and stopped at some shops there.  By the end of the day, I was ready to get home and see Lilli plus my feet and back were killing me.  So we got back to our car and headed home.  We had a lot of fun and will definitely go back.  Rachel said that Lilli did really good, except after laying Lilli down for the night, Lilli was crying and saying, "I miss you guys!" like she was talking to Ben and I.  I had to laugh.  Thanks again Rachel!  We definitely needed some time just us!




4 comments:

bre said...

Yay for a fun time! That's so cool. I don't know who paula deen is though...or her sons, but I'm sure it was cool to meet them! You look like a cute little pregnant lady. Umm, that one picture of you is funny though...the one with you and the OTHER pregnant lady in the background looking at you like you are CRAZY! Anyway, glad you have fun! Thanks for the updates!! :)

Shari Davis said...

Everyone that we tell we met the Deen brother have NO IDEA who they are! Paula Deen is on the Food Network Channel. Obviously we watch too much Food Network to be fans of hers or her sons!

Bill & Ellen Thompson said...

Well, I know who Paula Dean and her sons are and I'm way jealous that you got to meet them in person. Sounds like a fun weekend and that is cute how Lilli was talking to you and Ben saying she missed you. What a little dolly! Give her a hug and kiss for me.

Unknown said...

WOOT WEEE... I would have scooted a little closer myself.. I think I just saw a cookbook of Paula Deen at the Cracker Barrel.

I love old historic towns.. looks like a fun time.. and you are looking good, your hair was way cute!