Thursday, September 25, 2008

First E.R. visit


Just some random photos of her.  What a goof!

These two photos were taken today.  She still had on the bracelet they gave her at the ER.  She didn't want to take it off today, but when they put it on her last night, she freaked out!




Yes, that's right.  Last night was our first E.R. visit.  It wasn't too bad of an experience to be honest.  They had us there a total of 2 hours.  Yesterday, after Lilli's nap, she woke up really fussy so I went to go pick her up and she was burning up.  I have never felt her this hot before.  So I took her temperature (rectally) and the thermometer read 103.8.  I don't think I left it in long enough either, so it very well could have been higher than that.  I freaked out!  Ben had just left for the week to go up to Shaw AFB for ALS.  Yes, JUST left (well, he was about 2 hours away)!  I didn't know what to do, so I call up my good friend Megan and asked her at what temperature we're supposed to take our kids in to get seen ASAP.  She said 104 and again, I freaked out.  She told me to get Lilli in a warm/cool bath to bring her temperature down and give her some Tylenol.  I did that and it seemed to work.  Her temp went down to about 101, but before I put her down for bed it started to go back up.  I made sure she was drinking plenty of fluids (juice), but she wasn't drinking it.  She kept waking up, I'd go up there, check her temperature, lay her down, sing her some songs, and go back to bed.  At about 12:45am, she come down to my room really fussy, so I pick her up and she's burning up again.  I tried not to freak out this time.  But I knew I needed to get her to the hospital.  I checked her temperature (underarm this time) and it read 103.7.  I KNOW that her core temperature was hotter than this, so I called Ben and asked him what he thought I should do.  He said to take her in.  I was so scared.  So we went in.  They told me she probably just had a virus, and then they stocked me up with some Motrin and Tylenol and we went home.  I'm glad we went though.  I felt better.  Though, by the end of our visit, Lilli was feeling better and jumping on the hospital bed.  Today she was feeling better, but still felt warm.  I gave her some more medicine and TONS of juice and Gatorade.  She was probably loving it!  Hopefully she continues to get better.  

This experience really made me appreciate Ben and the fact that he has the priesthood.  I know I probably should have called our neighbors to come give her a blessing, but it was so late and I didn't want to "inconvenience" them.  I know they would have been more than willing.   Anyway, I'm so glad to have a husband that holds the priesthood and strives everyday to live worthy so he can use it whenever he's needed.  I sure needed it yesterday!

10 comments:

Pilkington Family said...

I am so glad that Lilli is doing much better. Its never fun to have a sick kid...especially when they are so little. She is still super cute though and let us know if you need anything!!! Seriously, you know that we will do anything no matter what the time is.

Mike, Katie, Annali and Londyn said...

So scary. We had our first ER visit at about 1 month old. It was so scary. I am so glad Lilli is feeling better and you are a great mom!

Staci said...

We have that junk at our house too! Both James and Daniel have it, we just take turns who gets the tylenol first. I too am grateful for the priesthood.. It helps to give a little piece to the soul in tough times! I'm glad Lilli is feeling better!

Jessica said...

I'm really sorry that that happened right after Ben left. In fact, I'm sorry he left. That is lame. I hope you're doing okay.

bre said...

What are you doing to my poor niece!?! at least it was just the flu and nothing that would make people question your parenting (HA jk...) But I am glad she didn't hit her head on a corner that would need stitches or anything...I'm glad she's feeling better! LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU!

Brittney K. said...

Wow....if ur lucky, she won't end up there often like we all seemed too. I'm glad that she is better and ya'll survived it. I too think its lame my brother left. hahaha love love love you all!

Tyson and Lauren Davies said...

ohhh man ER visit are just S.C.A.R.Y. bet its even worse when its your child. When you said you got stocked up on tylenol made me think of the military clinics/hospitals cause they always do that with tylenold and stuff! hahaha!

stay tuff while he's gone! the short ones sometimes are worse then the longer ones

bre said...

PS...for us non-military people. you need to spell out the abbreviated stuff, such as ALS, AFB, ASAP, ER, etc....

jk, I know all but the ALS..come on..you need to be more explanitory (is that word?) in your posts. first all the pregnancy talk, now all the military speaking...

yes...again, I am at school, and people aren't updating their blogs!

LOVE YOU!

M&M-Maloy said...

Shari, You have such a cute family. Sorry that happened while you were alone. I'm sure it was more scary because of Ben not with you. I really want to see you guys sometime.

Marcie

The Martinez Fam said...

I'm glad that everything was okay with Lilli. That's horrible when you are scared and you don't know whether it's serious enough to take them in or if it's something that will pass. I hate it. I'm so glad everything turned out okay and I'm glad to hear that the twins are doing great too!!:)